Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The difference being Happy and merely Existing

Many people walk through life existing. They go about their lives asleep at the wheel. They climb out of bed and slide in the uniform of the day, be that a 3 piece suit,  an issued uniform or whatever wardrobe choice the day calls for.  They spend their entire life doing what makes others money, makes others happy, or serves a communal purpose. They rarely if ever think about what makes them happy.  The go to work and pay their bills and do what is expected of them because that is what they think society expects from all of us.

When someone appears on their radar who is happy and radiant they often scoff and call them a dreamer or an idealist or even worse say they are on drugs because no one is that happy naturally.  They refuse to acknowledge that there is something bigger than you or I at work in the universe. That something guides us and motivates us to dream bigger than our day to day lives.

Some people believe that there is no such thing as destiny, that we are simply hurdling through space without any purpose or any kind of divine intention.  I feel for those people because they are often times at a higher risk for suicide during hard times and rarely if ever see the bigger picture that life has to offer.  The don't see the silver lining to rain clouds or the life lessons we all must learn behind those bad days.

Being happy is a state of mind in the fact that it is a different perspective on life and all that it offers. Some may say that happy people are only optimistic or that they never see the glass as half empty.  I disagree with that. I am not an optimist by any stretch of the imagination. I expect the worst but hope for the best and always try to graciously accept whatever may come in life.  Sometimes life gives me cake, other times it gives me lemons. But regardless of what it gives me I am going to make the best of it.

10 things happy people do differently

I am going to enjoy the time I have amongst those I love. I am not going to wallow in self pity or allow that to rob me of whatever I time I may have on this planet.  I am going to enjoy the beautiful scenery and the wonderful foods and the amazing smells along the way.  I am going to enjoy the warm sun shining down on my face I am going to be exhilarated by the cold rain splattering my skin and I am never going to stop being amazed by the feel of a loved ones arms wrapped around me tight making me feel safe and secure.

I embrace life with all its little hick ups and glitches and am thankful for one more day to spend amongst those who make me the happiest.  I am not going to deny myself that little piece of chocolate when my body yearns for it or refuse that steaming cup of hot coffee first thing in the morning.  Instead I am going to savor those moments and try hard to remember that as good as life may get it don't get any better than snuggling up between clean sheets, or the feel of a warm egg straight from under a chicken's backside, or the wind gently blowing my hair.

Life is way to short to stress over stupid stuff. If you cannot fix it then don't stress it, it only causes grey hair, wrinkles and health issues.  Learn to take a step back from life's problems and see them for what they really are.  Sometimes some distance from a problem will put it into a better perspective.  Many problems we all face in 6 months will only be a vague memory, if that much.  I find that to many people stress over things that either don't directly affect them or don't have a lasting effect on the lives they are creating.

I handle my marriage the same way.  Many things just aren't worth fighting over.  I know a lot of couples who grow so incredibly far apart over stupid stuff.  They fight over who is going to walk the dog or turn off the light before getting into bed and those little things escalate into huge fights with time and continued strife.  Marriage is a partnership, and it is never a 50/50 arrangement, but hopefully it is a partnership in which both parties benefit from the other person being in their lives.  Each bringing different talents and skills to the table and both leaving the better for being in it.

Now I am not a marriage counselor nor am I an expert on marriage.  I can tell you that marriage isn't easy but having a partner to go through life with and having someone who you can count on to have your back during trying times is important.  But so is making sure that you take care of yourself.  Making sure to take that time to reward yourself for a job well done.  Acknowledging that you are a capable person who can do anything if you put your mind to it.  And having your own personal cheering squad helps with that.

Some times you just need another person to hear you.  To acknowledge that what you are doing is important and that doesn't have to be a life partner, it can be a sibling, a friend, a coworker, even a complete stranger who comments on how you changed their life for the better.  I am very lucky in the fact that I have a group of individuals who support me and who help me follow my dreams.  That is a very important ingredient when following your bliss.

If you have those kind of people in your life never assume they will always have time to be your cheering squad, no matter what the relationship.  Be prepared to be the kind of friend and partner that you want in them.  You have to make time for them in your busy life as well or with time you will find that person spending less and less of their time being your cheerleader because you never returned that favor for them.

Never judge others or make them feel bad about their dreams.  That is their dream and theirs alone.  If they tell you they want to be a rodeo clown instead of pointing out how dangerous that is offer to go makeup shopping with them, or ask if they have seen the lastest video on youtube about dodging bulls.  Try to get involved. Sometimes getting involved in someone else's bliss will help you get one step closer to your own.

Today I have wandered all over in my blog, but as I write I often find myself distracted by or thinking about something else I want to share or something else I feel needs to be said.  I hope that today's blog makes sense and gives you some food for thought.  I hope that it isn't to far out there or to spuradic to follow.  And I will try harder in future blogs to stay on track with my subject matter.

If you get a chance check out the link I shared regarding the 10 things happy people do differently. It really is a great article.  And until tomorrow blog buddies.  Stay safe, stay sane, and be happy.

In photography like in life you can either concentrate on the shadows or you can walk in the sunshine. Only you can make that decision which one is your home and which one is your background.  Instead of seeing things only in black and white try to see it things for what they really are, a moment in time that with enough moments passed they will be forgotten.  And you will have moved on to a new situation or a new goal or new surroundings.  Never allow the darkness of this moment to jade you towards the next and never allow your heart and mind to be ruled by the shadows.

I took this photograph many years ago of a new foal who was beginning to explore his amazing new and exciting world.  I hope you take it for what it is a picture of a new beginning and a pretty good shot if I do say so myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment