Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Christmas Day in the Akes Household

Today is Christmas, it didn't snow but it did get cold.  My hands and feet are numb from being outside.  Today we got up and made sure that everyone had fresh water not frozen, extra food to keep them warm and special treats to let them know how grateful that we are that they share our lives.  Lucky our 30+ year old mustang got extra corn and some sweet red apples, our bunnies got sweet corn and lots of hay to bed down in to chase away the winter cold.  All of our dogs (3 personal, 6 fosters and one boarder) got a special treat last night along with goodies today.  Even my pet rat got a Holiday gift today, she got the gift of companionship with a new friend of the same gender and a special treat of Pear and Sweet corn.

I may be odd but to me my pets and animals are as much family as the children I gave life to.  I count them amongst my blessings every day.  When my life has been its darkest they have shown me unconditional love and reminded me of the things that are important in life.  They have forced me to get up and move even when I would have been content to hide under my blankets and not think of anyone but myself.

Today on this truly blessed holiday I remember the reason for the season, to me that is family.  Those with 2 legs and those with 4.  I am surrounded by those who love me and care for me and this is another reason I am on my quest to find my bliss.  In order to be the best me I can for them I need to find what makes me happy and pursue it.  I need to chase my own dreams and goals and make myself feel complete.

No one can make you happy, that is something entirely up to you. And no one can truly take away away your happiness without your permission.  I have had some in my life would question my life choices, or even tell me I was wrong. At times I hear that voice in the back of my head going "Have you lost your Mind". When in reality I know this is only my own insecurities over my own capabilities and skills.

Today I am spending quality time with some of those I love, treating myself to the extra little things I normally deny myself and just enjoying the holiday.  I am getting ready to go out and have Chinese for Lunch at one of my favorite restaurants, thankfully they are open on the holiday.  I am screening my calls and not accepting calls from those who depress me or bring me down.  And I am taking that little extra time to make myself happy.

I know most will say you have to take those calls they are people who want to wish you a Merry Christmas, but truth of the matter is. My gift to myself today is to be happy and I refuse to allow those who would make any other emotion run rampad in my soul and my heart interfere with my game plan of having the happiest Holiday possible.

Some may call that selfish, I call it taking care of myself first. They are welcome to leave a voice mail or call me tomorrow. Today I am making sure that I am happy that is my primary concern. As women we are brought up to believe that we have to sacrifice our own happiness in order to make sure others are happy. I don't know if it is old age kicking into hyper drive, or just my midlife crisis taking over my mind and body. But today I am doing what I need to do to ensure my own personal happiness and instead of answering the phone and either being rude or being unkind I choose to ignore folks and just have a great day.

Surrounding myself with the things I enjoy and the people that matter most to me.  Another helpful tip on finding your bliss. Don't allow the actions of others to interfere with your plans on being happy.  Most days I will muddle through and find a way to be patient and tolerant but every now and again I have to take what I like to call a personal day.  That is when I do what I want, figuring unless someone is bleeding to death or the world is ending it will wait an additional day.  No harm no foul.

Well off to get ready for lunch. Hope everyone is having a wonderful day and remember to take care of yourself.  If you don't who will and if you aren't operating at your absolute best capacity you are only cheating those in your life who count on you.  Who knows I may splurge later and actually sink back into a hot tub or enjoy a glass of homemade blackberry wine.  You just never know with me.

Hope this post finds all well and happy on this Blessed Christmas Day and I am off to enjoy my personal day.

No comments:

Post a Comment