Sunday, December 30, 2012

Broken Promises and your Bliss

The first thing I thought about when my eyes opened this morning was I had forgotten to do my blog yesterday.  I was disappointed in myself as well as frustrated at the fact that something I had committed to I had not done.  I am all about promises.  If I promise something to someone I will move mountains and oceans to make it happen.  But I often find myself putting my own wants and needs on a back burner to get other things accomplished. Yesterday was one of those days.

I got busy, I got distracted, I got lazy.  I can come up with every excuse in the book while I didn't blog yesterday.  I can justify my not blogging by saying I have been doing it for 7 days and I needed a break, I can even say well I did something yesterday I haven't done in a really long time and found myself lost in it and forgetting about other responsibilities and obligations. But the truth of the matter is I let myself down.

I try hard to make sure I never let others down, my husband, my children, even my pets and friends.  But often times when it is something I want to get done I push it aside telling myself that I will do it later. I will make time later, I will get around to it later.  When this happens and it will, be it a day, a week, or sometimes even a year don't be to hard on yourself.  Try to remember you are doing this to make yourself happy. You are doing something most people never do and you are taking babysteps to accomplish it.

Yes I forgot to write yesterday, but I did take time to spend some quality time with my youngest daughter.  I forgot to write yesterday but I did take time to sit down with my husband and have a heart to heart regarding our relationship and where it is headed. I forgot to write yesterday but I did do something else yesterday that I really enjoy and have not made time for in a very long which is gaming. I am a sims addict, if you can call an addict someone who will do something for several hours in a sitting and then perhaps go days, weeks, or even months without doing it because my life just gets to hectic to actually make time to do it.

Promises are important and you really need to take those you make to yourself as seriously as you take those you make to others, but sometimes the reality of the situation is life just gets in the way.  As long as you get back on that horse and try to make the time to follow those dreams, and do those things that are important to you and that will bring you just a few more small steps towards your end your end goal in a day, a week, or even a year you are still making progress towards your end goal.

Sometimes we all have to take a down day and not do something towards that light at the end of the tunnel, sometimes we have to do something a little different or take the time to follow another path.  Don't think that just because you didn't do it yesterday or you cheated on that diet or even fell off the wagon on a habit you are trying to make go away means that you won't succeed long term.  It just means every now and again shit happens.

We all live hectic crazy lives.  We all suffer through those moments of insecurities and wondering if we are on the right path.  We all stumble and fall down on occasion.  The purpose of this journey isn't just to arrive at the end result of finding the things you enjoy and doing them.  It is also to enjoy the trip along the way.  It is discover things about ourselves and those around us and learn things that perhaps we didn't know.  It is about enjoying life again and not simply going through the motions.

So for those who think that they have let themselves down by not staying true to their course, or who might have taken a break from discovering the answers to those burning questions (What makes me happy) just remember that sometimes what makes us happy is taking a break.  Sometimes we need to take a step back and just breath.  Take a look at where we have been and where we are going and what we need to do to make it happen.

I will say that taking a day off during a period of time of schedule adjustments and family crisis has not dimmed my desire to find my bliss.  And that taking yesterday off gave me a chance to actually weigh the pros and cons of writing this blog and allowing others to track my process and hopefully inspire them to follow their own bliss along the way through my own ups and downs has given me additional food for thought.  It gave my mind and my soul a break and a chance to absorb where I have traveled to this point. What I have learned to this posting and what I need to do in future post to ensure that I try hard to keep those promises to myself.

So until next time my friends, remember if you don't take time for yourself and take care of yourself, then who will treat you the way you really need to be treated to be truly happy.  Later folks hope today finds you well and blessed, and hope that we all remember life is a journey and every now and then you have to stop and smell the roses or you aren't changing anything, just going through a different set of motions.

Photo done by Jennifer Akes digital enhancement done by Patricia Drach

No comments:

Post a Comment