Monday, April 29, 2013

When your bliss takes you to new places

Today has been a very up and down day.  A friends father died a few weeks ago and today the family asked me to do video and photographs of his memorial service. That was very sad but at the same time I was honored that they asked me to record this moment in their lives.  I did my absolute best with my new camera and even with a few glitches to the process think the end result turned out really well.  I put a lot of time and energy and effort into making this very sad event something they could look back on and hopefully remember with some degree of happiness.

Part 1 of his memorial service
Part 2 of his memorial service
Part 3 of his memorial service

They got to see a lot of family from far away and I learned a little something about myself in the process.  I also got to play with my new video and photography software and master some new skills.  This week I have had off from class and have tried to use my time wisely. 

I have been working in my growing garden, even after several setbacks due to the odd weather we are having this spring in TN.  I have lost many of my plants and had to replant due to unseasonably late frost in our area.  We had a tornado sweep through our area yesterday but I am happy to report my new greenhouse actually was left undamaged by the high winds.

I have done my first lunar shots in the last week and learned even more about photography first hand.  I think they turned out pretty well for a novice with basic equipment. But am already daydreaming of more powerful lenses and better shots in my future.  I have entered my first photo contest and lost and entered my second with high hopes.  At this point I am only doing this for personal satisfaction and my own bliss.  But am finding myself intrigued by the whole DSLR camera and all the bells and whistles that go with it.


Please stop by and like your favorite in this competition, this link will take you to the photo of my read headed canine companion.


I am learning how to do videography, which I really didn't anticipate and am also getting better and better shots. Now I look at my old photos and go really, I shared that publicly.  I think the better camera and better pictures has made me more judgmental of my past skills.  But at least I know I am improving and learning along the way.

I have not only created a website for my photography but also a facebook fan site.
Jennifer Akes Photography on Facebook
Jennifer Akes Photography website

And I have even shared some of my photos on the Pintrest site
Jennifer Akes on Pinterest

I feel like this passion is beginning to help the pieces fall together.  Because I am no longer focusing on what is wrong in my life I have found other aspects of my life beginning to fall into place.  I spoke with someone regarding a job once my bachelors degree is completed, and have a renewed sense of hope regarding my funding.  I have also begun a cooperative in our area for those who are interested in sharing their surplus or possibly making some additional funds for their household selling their organically raised and humanely harvested foods.

It has been a very busy week but as the weekend slowly comes to a close I am thankful for all the blessings it has brought into my life.  I am sad at the loss of a wonderful man but glad that my photos and my videos could bring them some joy in their time of sadness.  I am overjoyed at my growing confidence in these new arenas and wonder what lies ahead.

I know that as each new challenge shows itself in my life I will once again rise to the challenge and hopefully not only learn more about myself but also about my own happiness through them.  I am loving my life more and more with each passing cycle of the planet and learning and relearning some important life lessons.

I am even making time in my already crazy busy schedule to escape for a few hours and just spend time with friends. Something I haven't done in a great while but have managed to do twice in the last two weeks.

For those who say following your bliss is a waste of time, I say it is what your time is all about.  We all work hard at jobs that perhaps we wish we didn't have to do. Be that laundry or something you get a paycheck for. My bliss is what keeps my sanity intact and my balance in this world secure. It is something that I can look forward to and hopefully eventually make a larger aspect of my life.

I am growing and evolving into the person I was born to be.  With each new skill and each success I am gaining confidence and I am gaining knowledge.  The knowledge I am gaining may not seam like much to an outsider but to me it is the world.

I hope my words today and my experiences have inspired others to follow their own bliss.  Nothing is impossible if you want it bad enough. Sometimes you just have to decide what is really important to you.  You have to set a goal, figure out what you need to do to make it happen and keep on charging that wind mill until you either reach that goal or beat back those dragons in your head that are telling you that you cannot do it.  Either way enjoy the ride.  Life is way to short to be miserable.

Until next time blog buddies.  Stay safe, stay sane and be happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment